Sunday, September 24, 2006

Chores and Genealogy Assignments

Today was one of those days where you had to get things done. After working out on the treadmill this morning, Sandra and I did our laundry (yipee!). After that nonsense, we had to go to Sam's Club and restock the freezer with protein (aka - meat, poultry and fish).

I am taking online courses in genealogical methodology (how to do family history), and I had to complete an assignment that dealt with looking at a document and analyzing the information in it. I was bitten by the family history bug earlier this year. Actually, it probably all started during the week of our wedding. I got to see relatives that I haven't seen in decades, and some relatives actually met for the first time at our wedding. My interest in family history pretty much snowballed from there. It's even to the point where I am going to research Sandra's family as well. Both sides of the family lived through World War Two. My family lived through the Japanese occupation of the Philippines, and Sandra's family saw the carnage and devastation in Europe. Let's just say that there will be plenty of research to keep me busy for the rest of my lifetime.

Now all I have to do is find a couple of pictures of my clinic cats to post.

6 Comments:

At 5:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember having to do a geneology assignment in high school - on my Mom's side, the family has kept good records, going back to Hugenot relatives fleeing Europe. I have a nice framed set of my grandfather (from WWII), my great-grandfather (from WWI) and my great-great-grandfather (from the Civil War.)

Meanwhile, when I had to research my Dad's side of the family, I had to struggle just to figure out my grandparent's parents' first names. If I was ever to take on research in geneology, there's be plenty of research to do on that side.

 
At 6:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"there's be?" I need to learn to proofread...

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger Eugene said...

I have to deal with destroyed records, especially in the Philippines (Natural disasters, humid conditions, World War Two, etc.) There are some records that still exist, though.

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger Sara said...

Yeah! Kitties!

 
At 5:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there, thanks, I am really interested in the family history research. I have looked at the links you sent me a while back.

Unfortunately, once my mom passed most of the history went along with her, I do remember some. My dad remembers his Grandfather was some type of shipping guy? No Onassis, or Niarchos, but, some shipping guy, thus, I am not a shipping heiress ;)

My dad had trouble remembering where his side of the family was from. It's unfortunate, when I was younger, I felt my parents were invincible and I never grabbed a pen and paper to write down all the names, dates, and places my mom was sharing with us. I guess that is why it's called "foolish youth." :)

 
At 11:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear NYer, you could ask your aunts and uncles on your Mom's side about some of the places and stories that she's mentioned. Her history is not gone, it's just waiting for you to find it :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home