Monday, June 18, 2007

Thoughts of Fatherhood

This Wednesday, Alex will be three weeks old. It's also my third week of fatherhood. When the perinatologist said that Alex was coming sooner than expected, I have to admit that I was a bit nervous and excited at the same time. Excited that I was finally going to have a little one, but nervous for Sandra and Alex since he was coming early via c-section.

I'll tell you what though. When he screamed at the top of his lungs when he came out, that was music to my ears. When I was able to hold him and give him his first bath in the special care unit, it was a feeling that's hard to describe. Happiness, elation, love, etc. The realization that I am a father... amazing. Whether it's lack of sleep or multiple diaper changes, I wouldn't trade with anyone right now.

Today was my first day at work full time. It was kind of weird leaving in the morning, but I survived Alex withdrawl. It was hard not calling Sandra just to see how things were going, but I kept reminding myself to let them sleep and rest. Sandra is doing a WONDERFUL job being a mom. I can't say enough about motherhood is the hardest job out there, and I have a ringside seat watching Sandra and Alex.

Anyway, back to fatherhood. Alex just woke up.

1 Comments:

At 2:39 PM, Blogger Russ said...

Good for you, bud. You're gonna do great.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home